Study Abroad for Black Studies Majors

The Black Studies department encourages students to take advantage of the Education Abroad Program. Several Black Studies majors have combined honors opportunities with EAP to develop research projects while abroad and write honors theses on such topics as “The Dalit Panther Movement in India,” “The Chinese Under Apartheid,” and “NAACP Hate Crime Findings.”  
Studying abroad gives students the opportunity to live and conduct research in over 40 foreign countries for a summer, quarter, semester, or yearlong experience. We hope students gain a better understanding of cultural diversity and sharpen their knowledge of major themes in Black Studies through their experience studying abroad. 

Why study abroad?

EAP gives students an opportunity to immerse themselves in a different culture, experience other locales, and gain a better understanding of how other people live. At the same time, studying abroad challenges you to grow socially as well as academically. Black Studies is committed to fostering global citizenship, the ability of people from all backgrounds to enlarge their sense of themselves and the world we live in.  
Studying Abroad is also a great way to increase awareness and understanding of the African Diaspora and the way Black lives are manifested in various societies. The potential to enhance your personal and academic growth makes studying abroad a wonderful opportunity to deepening one’s knowledge of Blackness from a global perspective.

Where should I study abroad?

Many UC Education Abroad Programs offer classes in ethnic studies, history, global studies, political science, or media studies --all of which are appropriate for our majors. Students are encouraged to decide on a place that allows them to enhance research interests. 
Popular choices for study abroad among Black Studies majors and minors include:
University of West Indies, Barbados
Community Public Health, Dominican Republic
Middle East
Arabic Language & Culture, Rabat, Morocco
University of Botswana
University of Ghana
African & Development Studies, Senegal
University of Cape Town, South Africa
African and Development Studies, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
South America
Brazilian Studies, Salvador, Brazil (language pre-req)
Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (language pre-req)
University of Copenhagen, Denmark
King’s College, London, England
University of Bordeaux and University of Lyon, France (language pre-req)

 When should I study abroad?

The decision of when to study abroad depends on the student; however, we encourage students to try to go during their junior or senior years after having completed the pre-major requirements. 
Transfer students are eligible to participate as early as their first quarter at UCSB. EAP offers a variety of summer, semester and year-long programs. 
Regardless of when you plan to go, start the planning process NOW.

What classes should I take?

All EAP students automatically earn UC credit for the work they complete abroad. However, the application of credit to major requirements is subject to the discretion of the department and approval of the college. Students are advised to email course descriptions to our undergraduate advisor and keep relevant faculty and staff fully apprised of their plan of study throughout the entire time they are abroad.  
Keep in mind that at least 20 units of upper-division major coursework (or 12 upper-division minor units) must be completed in residence at UCSB along with other residence requirements.

How do I get started?

Begin by identifying your goals for study abroad and then consult the EAP web pages ( to identify appropriate EAP programs. To find programs which offer particular disciplines or to search courses taken by EAP students over the last 5 years by subject, keyword and/or location, explore the resources found under Program Search and Course Catalog. Navigate to host universities’ web sites on the available links to learn more about the schools and their departments.
Stop by the EAP office at 2431 South Hall. Peer advisors who have recently returned from studying abroad as well as staff advisors are eager to answer your questions. Go see your undergraduate advisor in the Black Studies department office and make an appointment to speak with an advisor in the College of Letters & Science.

What happens when I return?

If you go abroad in your junior year, you should consider doing a senior thesis based on the coursework and intellectual interests you developed while studying abroad. This provides the ideal way to integrate your time abroad with the completion of your major.  
Returnees must submit a Petition for Degree Requirements in order to receive department major and/or General Education credit for your work completed abroad.

Start planning now! 

Applications are due as much as eight months prior to the program’s start date and some programs have academic or language prerequisites that must be satisfied in advance. 
Department of Black Studies
3631 South Hall
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-3150
Phone:  (805) 893-7624
Fax:      (805) 893-3597