General FAQ

Will my courses transfer?
Yes! All UCEAP courses will appear on your UCSB transcript automatically. Your grades from abroad will appear on your transcript and will be calculated into your GPA.  Courses must be petitioned to fulfil specific major, minor, or GE requirements.

Will my financial aid transfer?
Your financial aid is repackaged according to the estimated cost of your term abroad and applied to your fees automatically. Check out our Finances section for more details.  If going abroad as a fifth year, be sure to contact to see how much, if any, financial aid you will have remaining.

When can I go abroad?
You can apply your freshman year! Some programs are open to students with Sophomore standing (at time of departure). Many programs are only open to students with Junior standing or higher. See the "Eligibility" tab in each program description. With the exception of biology majors, transfer students may participate in select programs as early as their first term at UCSB. Seniors can (and do!) go abroad with UCEAP and many students participate during their final term and graduate abroad. 

Do I have to go for a whole year?
It is recommended that you go for as long as you can! The longer you are in a country, the more you will integrate and enjoy the culture there. For some programs, the year option is the most economical. However, if your schedule does not permit a whole year abroad, we have many summer, fall, and spring options.

Is it competitive? 
Most all UCEAP applicants who meet minimum qualifications are accepted. However, there are a few programs every year where the number of applicants exceeds the spots available. We will then re-direct unsuccessful applicants to other suitable programs.

Is there any flexibility with the GPA requirements?
GPA requirements are set by an agreement with the host institution and are not flexible. If you do not meet the requirements by the time of application, please come talk with a UCSB EAP advisor to discuss options such as alternative programs with lower GPA requirements or the possibility of bringing your GPA up by the next application cycle.

If I don't speak a foreign language, are my only options England or Australia? 
There are many program options that do not require prior knowledge of the local language. Search for programs in English here.  UCEAP has exchanges with many English-speaking universities around the world in countries where English is not the national language! UCEAP also offers many language programs that have minimal or no language prerequisites.

Can I apply for more than one UCEAP program at a time?
You can apply for only one program per term (i.e. fall). Students may apply for back-to-back programs, but there are important things to consider, such as program dates and visa requirements. Not all program combinations are possible. Contact your UCSB EAP advisor for more information. 

Can I participate in more than one program?
Yes! Many students participate in more than one program over their time at UCSB (i.e. a summer program after freshman year, then a longer program during junior or senior year). Students may also apply for back-to-back programs. If you plan on applying to back-to-back programs, let us know as soon as possible. There are important things to consider, such as program dates and visa requirements. Not all program combinations are possible.

How do I find the course descriptions of classes I might take abroad?
The UCEAP Course Catalog has descriptions of courses taken by UC students abroad in the past 5 years. It is not an exhaustive list of possibilities, but will give you an idea of what types of courses students have taken on each program. For more information, including links to host university websites and/or course catalogs, see the 'Academics' tab on a specific program page.  Some departments have lists of previously approved courses, including Biology, Communication, Economics, French, Mathematics, and Psychology.

How do I apply?
Follow the directions listed here:

How much does it cost?
The costs vary by program and location. Some places have a much higher cost of living than others. Refer to the 'Cost' tab in each program description for an estimate. Financial aid is adjusted based on this estimate. Check out our Finances section for more information about paying for UCEAP. Estimates do not include Non-Resident Fees. If you are subject to Non-Resident Fees at UCSB, then you will also pay Non-Resident Fees on UCEAP. Program costs listed do not include the $239.33 per quarter UC SHIP Insurance reduced premium fee which is mandatory for ALL UCSB EAP students that participate in fall, spring or year-long programs. Students who submit an approved UC SHIP waiver request, do NOT need to pay this additional cost. The stated UC SHIP fee is an estimate and is subject to change. Please visit for more information.

If I study abroad, will I be able to graduate on time?
Yes! Most students make regular progress toward their degrees while studying abroad. As you plan your study abroad experience, you will meet with academic advisors in your major and minor department(s) and your college to discuss how the courses you plan to take abroad will help you meet your degree requirements.

Can I study abroad if I am majoring in the sciences or engineering?
Absolutely! Students in all majors have access to excellent courses abroad. Laboratory work and field research programs provide unique opportunities to STEM students abroad. Check out our YouTube channel for videos of science and engineering majors who studied abroad!

Can I study abroad as a transfer student?
Yes! As a transfer student to UCSB, you still can spend a year, semester or summer studying abroad.  Visit our transfer student-specific webpage for more information.

Can I study abroad as an international student?
Yes! As a degree-seeking international student at UCSB, you can choose to add another layer of international experience to your academic career. Restrictions and visa instructions vary by country. Contact the nearest consulate for more information. For more information regarding your U.S. visa and re-entry, visit the UCSB Office of International Students & Scholars (OISS).

Can I study abroad as a fifth year?
Yes! However, there are a couple of factors that you will need to consider.  If a financial aid recipient, be sure to contact to see how much, if any, financial aid you will have remaining. You cannot declare candidacy to graduate until your UCEAP grades have been processed and appear on your UCSB transcript, which can take approximately 90 days.