Event Date: 

Monday, February 1, 2021 - 2:30pm

Study Abroad for Anthropology Majors

Studying Abroad in Tokyo, Japan

The Department of Anthropology strongly encourages its students to participate in the UC Education Abroad Program (UCEAP). Anthropology is the study of humankind in the broadest sense, considering the diversity of peoples and cultures in the present and the past. By going abroad and studying at a foreign institution, students can see and experience other cultures first-hand, deepening their cross-cultural understanding in ways that reading about other cultures in textbooks never could. Since all courses taken through UCEAP are accepted as UC courses, with careful planning students can spend a year of study in a foreign locale with no loss of progress towards meeting degree requirements for graduation.

Why study abroad?

For the anthropology major, studying abroad gives you a wonderful opportunity to study in greater depth a particular country or culture that you might have read about in a class. You can visit the pyramids and temples that you read about in your anthropology course on ancient Egyptian religion, or see gorillas in their natural surroundings as you may have learned about in your primate behavior course. It also gives you the chance to learn and develop your skills in a foreign language, which is particularly important for those students who are seriously considering graduate school. 

Don’t just read about the peoples and cultures of other countries—go and immerse yourself in them. As the world moves further into the 21st century, it is becoming a smaller place. What happens in one part of the world can have a profound impact on another. The UCEAP experience can be a challenging and life-altering experience, having a uniquely valuable impact on your path through life. The Department of Anthropology encourages you to consider spending part of your undergraduate career at one of the many UCEAP locations around the world. 

Transfer students are encouraged to study abroad. Apply today!

Become engaged in your world through UCEAP!

When should I study abroad?

Students can study abroad as early as their sophomore year or as late as their last semester, even in a fifth year. Students wishing to fulfill upper-division major requirements should study abroad during their junior or senior year. Students interested in fulfilling major preparation or General Education requirements can participate as early as their sophomore year.

Where should I study abroad?

You should choose a UCEAP program in a country that engages your interest. It can even be in a country that you have not studied in your undergraduate classes here at UCSB, but one that attracts you. The classes that you take abroad will enhance your anthropology studies by enabling you to take courses not available at UCSB. You can take anthropology courses on UCEAP in the Americas, Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia and New Zealand.

What classes should I take?

The Anthropology Department will generally accept courses for the major if they are from anthropology or archaeology departments. By searching Gaucho Credit Abroad and the UCEAP Course Catalog, you will get an idea of the incredible number of anthropology and archeology courses UC students have taken around the world. You can find additional course listings on UCEAP partner university/program websites. Where content is appropriate, the department also accepts a limited number of courses taken in other departments while abroad to fulfill the elective requirement of the major. Consult the undergraduate major advisor to see which major requirements can be fulfilled by specific courses. 

UC students have taken a wide range of anthropology courses on UCEAP, including:

  • Rural Anthropology in Chile
  • The Meaning of Life in Hong Kong
  • Words, Deeds, Bones and Things in South Africa
  • Anthropology of Museums in the UK

The Anthropology Department encourages students to get involved in any kind of independent study, fieldwork, or research that might be offered at their UCEAP program.

How do I get started?

Academic Planning Form Tutorial

Gaucho Credit Abroad Database