Event Date: 

Monday, February 1, 2021 - 2:30pm

The Classics Department encourages its students to study abroad for a term or year of their undergraduate program. Besides the valuable contribution foreign study makes to any liberal arts degree, exposure to a different tradition of Classical education and the opportunity to visit Classical sites make this an option all Classics majors should seriously consider.

Why study abroad? 

Nothing quite prepares the classics student for their first look at the Parthenon or the columns of the Roman Forum at twilight. Becoming well acquainted with buildings and landscapes known previously only from books enhances the classics major measurably. A term or year of study in Europe opens the door to this experience in a way that a tourist’s brief experience never can.

Classics departments in other countries, with their own histories and academic cultures, offer their own distinctive perspectives on Classical studies. Europe is the heartland of the Classical tradition and European Classics programs are often first-rate, frequently complementing the curriculum and research interests represented at UCSB. For those interested in an educational experience on the Pacific Rim, there are many fine Classics Departments in Australia and New Zealand, direct descendants of the great British model of Classical education.

When should I study abroad?

The UC Education Abroad Program offers a great variety of one-term and year-long programs. Students interested in fulfilling major preparation and General Education requirements can participate as early as their sophomore year. However, the junior year is usually the best time to study abroad because students have normally completed their lower-level courses in the major (especially in Latin and/or Greek) but still have another year to complete all degree coursework. Classics majors may even study abroad in their senior year with good prior planning and close consultation with the departmental & college undergraduate advisors. The classics senior seminar [185] can be taken in the junior year.

Where should I study abroad?

In the many excellent classics programs in Europe and elsewhere, classics majors can make progress on their degrees while enjoying the benefits of study abroad. In Europe in particular, major classical sites such as Rome and Athens are a relatively short trip away. Strong classics departments can be found in universities in EnglandScotland and Ireland. Other English-language options are programs in South AfricaSwedenAustralia and New Zealand.

Classics majors desiring a one semester program should consider UCEAP’s Italy programs. 

Students with the necessary preparation in a modern foreign language (normally two years at the university level) should consider enrolling in a Classics program in FranceGermanyItaly, or Spain. Because of the obvious challenges of learning Latin or Greek through instruction in another foreign language, we recommend this option only for those whose modern language competence is excellent or who have moved beyond the second-year level of Latin or Greek. But for students contemplating graduate study in Classics, advanced knowledge of a modern language will be highly beneficial.

Non-UCEAP Options

There are two non-UCEAP program that classics majors should consider. College Year in Athens offers unparalleled opportunities to study the historical and cultural contributions of Greece, with both a summer and yearlong programs. Students take courses in English in archaeology, classical languages, philosophy, history, and religion. Go to:

The Intercollegiate Center for Classical Studies in Rome offers another English-language option for students who wish to study in Rome. This is a one-semester program taught at different times of the year in order to accommodate a demanding schedule. Students study the archaeology and history of the classical world, with courses in art as well as Latin and Greek literature. 

Keep in mind that non-UC programs may cost more and require the transfer of credits.

What classes should I take?

Use Gaucho Credit Abroad to search for the types of credit (i.e. major, minor, GE areas, or electives towards graduation) that UCSB students received for courses taken on UCEAP. You can find more UCEAP courses in the UCEAP Course Catalog and additional course listings on UCEAP partner university/program websites.

All EAP coursework is automatically credited towards your degree requirements. Depending on your course selection, you may fulfill major or GE requirements as well. Consult the classics undergraduate advisor.

How do I get started?

Academic Planning Form Tutorial

Gaucho Credit Abroad Database