College of Creative Studies

Event Date: 

Monday, February 1, 2021 - 2:30pm

The College of Creative Studies encourages its students to complete some portion of their undergraduate studies abroad through the University’s Education Abroad Program. Whether you choose to study fiddle music in Ireland, Shakespeare in Denmark, ecosystems in Costa Rica, or organic chemistry in Hong Kong, living and studying abroad will offer new perspectives, fresh challenges, and will better prepare you for life in the global community.

Why study abroad? 
CCS students who participate in UCEAP -- especially those who explore cultures very different from their own, or who simply spend a year living and studying in a second language -- most often describe their experiences as transformational. They report that their time abroad was among the most important components of their education and they return as enthusiastic promoters of UCEAP. The faculty of CCS, many of whom studied abroad themselves, will work with their advisees to craft an academic plan that ensures study abroad will meet the educational and career goals for each student.
UCEAP offers a variety of short-term and year-long programs taught in English or in a foreign language. All course units earned abroad through UCEAP are automatically credited towards your degree requirements.  Depending on your course selection, you may fulfill major or GE requirements as well.  With careful planning, you can enjoy a year abroad without delaying your graduation or incurring any additional financial burden.
When should I study abroad?

CCS students can study abroad as early as their sophomore year, although going junior or senior year is more typical. Students can even study abroad in a fifth year. Students are encouraged to consult with their staff and faculty advisors.

Where should I study abroad?

With a wide range of programs in over 40 different countries, you have many options. 

English language programs are not restricted to the obvious choices of UK-EnglandCanadaAustralia and New Zealand. You can also consider Hong KongSouth AfricaSpainGhanaSweden, and many others.

Students who are proficient in a language other than English can find excellent academic programs taught in the host language in locations such as ChinaFranceGermanySpain, and Japan. Additionally, UCEAP offers intensive Language and Culture programs, many of which have no requirement of previous language study.

What classes should I take?

Consider taking coursework in your major abroad. It is usually easy to find many UCEAP programs offering interesting upper-division major electives.

Use Gaucho Credit Abroad to search for the types of credit (i.e. major, minor, GE areas, or electives towards graduation) that UCSB students received for courses taken on UCEAP. You can find more UCEAP courses in the UCEAP Course Catalog and additional course listings on UCEAP partner university/program websites.

All UCEAP students automatically earn UC credit for the work they complete abroad. However, the application of credit to major requirements is subject to the discretion of the department and approval of the college. Save all syllabi, papers and other relevant course information to help you petition courses for specific requirements Plan ahead and consult with your advisors before leaving and while abroad.

Consider the following:

  • Study painting, printmaking and sculpture at the Accademia di Belle Arti in Bologna, Italy

  • Gain hands-on field experience in biology, conservation, zoology, and botany in Costa Rica, one of the world’s most biologically rich countries.

  • Spend your senior year studying computer science at the University of Tokyo

  • Take courses in post-colonial literature at the University of Cape Town, South Africa.

  • Further your physics education at Lund University, Sweden, home of the Max Lab, one of the most powerful synchrotron light sources in the world.

  • Pursue your mathematics or chemistry coursework at the Chinese University of Hong Kong.

  • Conduct independent research of traditional Ghanaian drumming under the supervision of the respected musicology professors at the University of Legon, Ghana.

How do I get started?

Academic Planning Form Tutorial

Gaucho Credit Abroad Database