Event Date: 

Monday, February 1, 2021 - 2:30pm

Studying Abroad in
the Netherlands

Studying Abroad in Denmark

Communication Majors Meeting

The Department of Communication strongly encourages students to study abroad through the UC Education Abroad Program. Get credit for your upper division major while experiencing another culture. In addition to taking courses in interpersonal, organizational, and media communication, opportunities exist to complete courses in journalism, public relations, broadcast and other areas of the field of communication not traditionally offered at UCSB. Because students receive UC credit for all UCEAP courses, if you plan your program carefully you may be able to go abroad for a full year without delaying graduation. 

Why study abroad? 

There is no better, or more valuable method to gain an understanding of effective communication in a global society than through the study of communication in an institution, country, and culture foreign to your own. Have the most memorable experience of your academic career, while you get credit toward your communication degree. You will gain perspective and critical thinking skills not available to you without the exploration of another culture or another educational system. You will collaborate with students whose backgrounds and experiences are decidedly different from your own, and learn new perspectives.

When should I study abroad?

If you are interested in fulfilling  upper-division major requirements abroad, you should study abroad during your junior or senior year, after you have completed the pre-major. Students interested in fulfilling General Education requirements can participate as early as their sophomore year. Students can even study abroad in a fifth year.

Regardless of when you plan to study abroad, start planning NOW!

Where should I study abroad?

With a wide range of programs in over 40 different countries, you have many options. The upper-division communication major is very flexible, without specific required courses or sequences, making it fairly easy to find suitable major coursework around the world. UCSB communication majors have gone to programs all over the world — Europe, the Middle East, the Americas, the Caribbean, Africa, and Asia.

What classes should I take?

UCSB’s Communication Dept. has pre-approved hundreds of upper-division UCEAP courses for Communication UD credit. Please refer to this list to see the most up-to-date UD Comm course approvals. 

See our list of pre-approved EAP courses.

Use Gaucho Credit Abroad to search for the types of credit (i.e. major, minor, GE areas, or electives towards graduation) that UCSB students received for courses taken on UCEAP. You can find more UCEAP courses in the UCEAP Course Catalog and additional course listings on UCEAP partner university/program websites.

All UCEAP students automatically earn UC credit for the work they complete abroad. However, the application of credit to major requirements is subject to the discretion of the department and approval of the college. Save all syllabi, papers and other relevant course information to help you petition courses for specific requirements Plan ahead and consult with your advisors before leaving and while abroad.

How do I get started?

Academic Planning Form Tutorial

Gaucho Credit Abroad Database