Feminist Studies

Event Date: 

Monday, February 1, 2021 - 2:30pm

Feminist Studies seeks to deepen the understanding of diverse women’s lives, cultures, and histories in the United States and around the globe, so the opportunity to study abroad is perfect for our majors and minors. From gender socialization to women’s work to sexual and reproductive policies, every aspect of the field of Feminist Studies benefits from cross-cultural comparison. Studying in another country facilitates exploration of such central topics as transnational feminist movements, the gendered aspects of globalization, and the exchange of cultural products across national borders. Feminist Studies students can immeasurably enrich their college experience by studying in any of the countries in the UC Education Abroad Program.

Why study abroad? 

Feminist Studies has increasingly moved from a primary focus on the United States to a more global vision of the ways that gender, in interaction with race, class, ethnicity, sexuality, age, nationality, religion, ability, and other differences, shapes the lives of people everywhere. What better way to understand one’s own society than to explore the ways that other cultures organize gender relations differently? Studying abroad offers the potential to open up worlds of understanding.

Living in another country, getting to know a range of people from across another society, and possibly speaking another language on a daily basis can be a life-changing experience. Whether you choose a university that offers women’s studies courses or one where you might have to look for classes in other departments, you will be exposed to different ways of seeing the world. If you are interested in writing an honors thesis after you return, a term or year abroad could offer the opportunity to do independent research on a topic of your choosing. The experience of studying abroad will serve you well in whatever path you pursue after graduation. 

The Department of Feminist Studies urges you — whether you are a Feminist Studies major or minor or a LGBTQ Studies minor — to consider spending part of your undergraduate career at one of the many EAP locations around the world. It is sure to be an unforgettable experience.

When should I study abroad?

Feminist Studies majors typically study abroad their junior or senior year, but can go abroad as early as their sophomore year. It is recommended, but not required, that you complete the preparation for the major prior to studying abroad. It is possible to graduate while abroad, but close consultation with the department undergraduate advisor and with the College of Letters & Science is essential.

Transfer students are eligible to participate as early as their first term at UCSB.

Where should I study abroad?

AustraliaBarbadosBrazilCanadaChileCosta Rica, and France all offer Women’s Studies programs, but students have the options of taking Feminist Studies related courses in any of our affiliated majors/disciplines (e.g. Sociology, Anthropology, Ethnic Studies, Language Studies, Global Studies, etc.)

What classes should I take?

EAP students automatically earn UC credit for the work they complete abroad. However, application for credit to major requirements is subject to the discretion of the student’s major department and approval of the college.

Most universities will offer a range of Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies courses, whether within a Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies program or through one of our affiliated departments. When looking at courses to take, consider those that you wouldn’t be able to take at UCSB - including Women's, Gender, and Sexuality courses that study specific aspects of the host county. While you may find classes that match up to those at UCSB, many of the best are those that are unique to that country.

To petition for major or minor credit, e-mail the course descriptions of the Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies courses you plan to take to the Feminist Studies Department undergraduate advisor before travel. When abroad or immediately upon return, email the syllabi of the courses you want to petition for Feminist Studies course credit. The advisor can then tell you how the course would be applicable to the major or minor. 

Use Gaucho Credit Abroad to search for the types of credit (i.e. major, minor, GE areas, or electives towards graduation) that UCSB students received for courses taken on UCEAP. You can find more UCEAP courses in the UCEAP Course Catalog and additional course listings on UCEAP partner university/program websites.

How do I get started?

Academic Planning Form Tutorial

Gaucho Credit Abroad Database