Event Date: 

Monday, February 1, 2021 - 2:30pm

The Department of Music strongly encourages its students to add an international dimension to their education by participating in the UC Education Abroad Program (UCEAP). Music students should consider a semester, a summer, or going abroad during a fifth year. Ethnomusicology students have more flexibility in their schedules and should consider studying abroad during the academic year and taking courses toward their music major while abroad.

Why study abroad?

Music is an international language, uniting people around the world. Shouldn't you, a student of music, enhance your college experience by spending some time living and studying in another country and culture?

The benefits of studying abroad are tremendous. You can:

  • Learn national performance styles
  • Understand performance as a mode of cultural expression and production
  • Live and study in one of the European cultural centers, immersed in its rich musical history
  • Perform folk and world music in and out of the classroom while living BarbadosBrazil, Ghana or Mexico
  • Receive academic credit for research or independent study projects conducted under the supervision of local faculty mentors
  • Develop self-confidence and independence
  • Prepare for a career in an increasingly international world
  • Enhance your résumé for job or graduate school applications

Returning students often describe their UCEAP experience as life-changing, career-enhancing, and the highlight of their college years. 

When should I study abroad?

The particular quarter, semester, summer or year that you study abroad depends on what courses you plan to take and what you need to complete for your major. Music students may want to consider study abroad over the summer or during a fifth year. It is best to plan early for study abroad.

Where should I study abroad?

Explore opportunities for taking music courses toward your degree while abroad. Many UCEAP host universities offer extensive music courses and ensembles.

Here is a partial list of UCEAP host countries that offer opportunities in music:

Programs in English

Australia, Canada, EnglandGhana, Hong Kong, Ireland, Israel, New Zealand, Scotland, South Africa

Programs in a foreign language

Chile, France, Italy, Mexico, Spain

Programs in both English and a foreign language

Germany, Japan, Korea

What classes should I take?

All UCEAP students automatically earn UC credit for the work they complete abroad. Application of credit to major, minor or GE requirements will be subject to the discretion of the department and the college.

Some examples of upper-division music coursework UC students have taken on UCEAP include:

Search by Field of Study on the UCEAP webiste. Use Gaucho Credit Abroad to search for the types of credit (i.e. major, minor, GE areas, or electives towards graduation) that UCSB students received for courses taken on UCEAP. You can find more UCEAP courses in the UCEAP Course Catalog and additional course listings on UCEAP partner university/program websites.

How do I get started?

Academic Planning Form Tutorial

Gaucho Credit Abroad Database