Event Date: 

Monday, February 1, 2021 - 2:30pm

Study Abroad in Sweden, Physics Majors!

Hear from a Physics major
who studied in Australia

Physics in Lund, Sweden

The Physics Department encourages its students to broaden their educational experiences by studying abroad through the UC Education Abroad Program (UCEAP). This program provides students the opportunity to study physics, while gaining an international perspective and expanding their academic horizons. College is an ideal time to take advantage of the opportunity to live abroad for a summer, a semester, or a year. In addition to developing your self-confidence, independence and perspectives, your international experience can benefit your career goals and/or graduate school opportunities. See the department's Study Abroad in Physics webpage!

Why study abroad?

Opportunities abound for enhancing your understanding of physics when studying abroad. Students are encouraged to apply either for a semester or a full academic year.

Studying abroad can help you:

  • Take advantage of unique academic and research opportunities
  • Participate in a different educational system
  • Advance cross-cultural and problem-solving skills
  • Expand your global perspective
  • Develop self-confidence and independence
  • Prepare for a internationally competitive career
  • Enhance your résumé and/or graduate school applications

Returning UCEAP students often describe their experiences abroad as life-changing and uniquely valuable for future choices of professional and personal goals.

When should I study abroad?

The best time for physics majors to study abroad during the academic year is during their junior year. By this time, they should have completed preparatory classes for the major and be in the process of completing upper division courses. It is very important to meet with a physics faculty advisor prior to studying abroad to ensure the completion of the major in a timely manner.

Where should I study abroad?

The Physics Department has approved courses at these select UCEAP partners: University of Edinburgh and University of St. Andrews in UK-Scotland, University of Hong Kong, and Lund University in Sweden.

Programs conducted in English produce the most success in terms of providing coursework that integrates well with the UCSB physics curriculum. Some examples of programs that provide instruction in English are in the United Kingdom at the University of Manchester and King’s College London and in Singapore at the National University of Singapore. However, students proficient in another language may find excellent programs in other counties and universities.

For a summary and links to programs for physics majors, go to this UCEAP webpage. To search for all of the available UCEAP programs, go here. There are many summer possibilities as well as programs during the academic year. 

What classes should I take?

Check out these pre-approved physics courses at select UCEAP partners: University of Edinburgh and University of St. Andrews in UK-Scotland, University of Hong Kong and Lund University in Sweden. 

Physics majors will most likely want to take upper division physics classes while studying abroad. In order to count for the major, courses will need to be very similar in content and level to the UCSB course they would be replacing. Application of credit to major requirements will be subject to the discretion of the department.

Students are strongly encouraged to review their course choices with their physics faculty advisor to maximize the number of UCEAP units that may apply towards the major.

Use Gaucho Credit Abroad to search for the types of credit (i.e. major, minor, GE areas, or electives towards graduation) that UCSB students received for courses taken on UCEAP. You can find more UCEAP courses in the UCEAP Course Catalog and additional course listings on UCEAP partner university/program websites.

How do I get started?

Academic Planning Form Tutorial

Gaucho Credit Abroad Database