Event Date: 

Monday, February 1, 2021 - 2:45pm

Even if you haven’t yet decided on a major, there are opportunities for you to study abroad through the UC Education Abroad Program (UCEAP) as early as your sophomore year. You can spend a summer, quarter, semester or year abroad. You can begin or advance in the study of a foreign language in countries such as FranceGermany, Italy or Spain. You can elect to fulfill General Education requirements in such places as Sussex (UK-England)Seoul (Korea)Berlin (Germany) or Rome (Italy). Or you can take pre-major requirements while you are abroad.

Why study abroad?

A study abroad summer or semester in your second year could help you choose a major and provide a direction for a longer study abroad term in your junior or senior year. Possibilities are numerous to study in many countries around the world.

The benefits of studying and living abroad are tremendous. You can:

  • Learn a new language
  • Advance your cross-cultural, critical thinking and problem-solving skills
  • Gain new perspectives on American society, culture and influence
  • Take advantage of unique academic coursework opportunities
  • Arrange an internship in a local corporate, governmental, public or private organization
  • Expand your worldview by experiencing another culture firsthand
  • Develop self-confidence and independence
  • Prepare for a career in an internationally competitive world
  • Enhance your résumé for job or graduate school applications

Returning UCEAP students often describe their experiences abroad as life-changing and uniquely valuable for future choices of professional and personal goals. Regardless of the reasons for going, nearly all return with a new perspective not only on the social, cultural and political context of their host country, but a new appreciation of the strengths and weaknesses of their home country as well. Some students find their lives or career choices transformed by their study abroad experience. Many find that adjusting to a foreign way of living and studying is a time of great personal growth that enhances their confidence and sense of self in ways that translate to many other pursuits. College is the time for exploration. Don’t miss out on a UCEAP experience!

When should I study abroad?

UCSB students must declare a major by their junior year. If you will become a junior while abroad, you should declare your major prior to your departure. Undeclared students can consider study abroad the summer before or during their sophomore year.

Where should I study abroad?

Do you want to explore a particular academic field when you are abroad? Interested in learning or improving in a foreign language? Would you like to fulfill some of your General Education requirements? Your answers to these questions will help you identify the best UCEAP destination for you.

You should first target UCEAP programs that are open to sophomores.  Some of these are language and culture programs, in countries such as ChinaFranceItalyJapan, Jordan, Morocco, RussiaSpain and Taiwan. In addition to language and culture programs, sophomores can study abroad over the summer or during the year on UCEAP programs in many other countries.

Identify your goals for your study abroad experience and then explore the various program options on the UCEAP website. Using the Find a Program search tool, you can look for programs specifically open to sophomores.

What classes should I take?

All UCEAP students automatically earn UC credit for the work they complete abroad. However, the application of credit to major requirements or GE requirements is subject to the discretion of the department and college. Plan ahead and consult with your advisors before leaving and while abroad.

Use Gaucho Credit Abroad to search for the types of credit (i.e. major, minor, GE areas or electives towards graduation) that UCSB students received for courses taken on UCEAP. You can find more UCEAP courses in the UCEAP Course Catalog and additional course listings on UCEAP partner university/program websites.

If you are selecting courses to fulfill GE requirements, refer to the guidelines found on the College of Letters & Science website.

Save all syllabi, papers and other relevant course information for courses you may want to petition for GE, major or minor requirements.

How do I get started?

Academic Planning Form Tutorial

Gaucho Credit Abroad Database